Saturday, September 9

Gunwharf Quays, Hampshire

On Saturday, Matt and I drove down to see his father and his wife in Ports- mouth. We arrived in the early evening and took a walk around the quays. Portsmouth, as a naval base, was pounded during the Second World War and little of the original architecture remains. A few years ago, the city council undertook a redevelopment project. Here, Matt is sitting underneath the wharf.
We watched a few ferries coming into harbour. This one looks like is coming back from France. The Isle of Wight is a short distance away. We thought about going over there for dinner, but the cost, £50 return, was prohibitive. We'll come back another day when we have more time to spend.
There were a number of lookout points dotted along the quays and the views were quite nice. I'm not sure why I took a picture of these benches. I think I liked the look of them. Also it made me giggle that one of them was missing. Lots of nice cobbled lanes down below and bijou terraces.
I'm not sure about this picture. Matt likes it, but I don't think it was a total success. The sky looks very Turneresque, but the composition is slightly off.

1 comment:

Paula Jane said...

Really beautiful pictures, S. Once I actually get the thesis off my desk, I'll post some from France.