Thursday, July 16

Craftsman-Style Home



I spotted this home on my way from work today. Although I've walked up and down this street before, this is the first time I noticed this place. It's done in one of my favourite architectural styles: craftsman. This style was a product of the arts and craft movement, and it represented a major shift in how people lived. The movement marked a break from the European style, which had dominated North American architecture up until the turn of the century. This approach is characterised by its attention to detail, hence the 'craftsman' reference, as well as a more efficient approach to design. It's the original open plan floor space. Unnecessary hallways and doors are banished; instead, the rooms flow into each other off of a central entrance way. I love the whole approach: it's a very modern way of living.

No comments: